Google has officially released Android 14 Beta 5.3, Confirming that the stable release has been delayed till next month.
The build number for Android 14 Beta 5.3 is UPB5.230623.009 and it has the security patch level of September 2023. As usual it is a Bug Fix focused release, with Google trying to polish the OS as much as possible for it’s stable release, now rumored to be on October 5th 2023, the same day as the Made by Google Event.
The bug fixes include UI fixes for the new Pixel Fold and Pixel Tablet, and some changes that should fix calling issues on other Pixels:
- Fixed an issue where apps crashed in some cases after a
CallStylenotification was posted.
- Fixed various issues that could cause call or carrier service interruptions.
- Fixed an issue where the system was using an inefficient path when placing CPU restrictions on apps running in the background.
- Fixed issues with
SurfaceFlingerthat were causing a loss in system performance.
- Fixed an issue on Pixel Fold and Pixel Tablet devices where the taskbar sometimes turned invisible while interacting with it.
- Fixed an issue on Pixel Fold and Pixel Tablet devices where the animation on animated wallpapers stuttered when launching apps.
- Fixed an issue on Pixel Fold devices where the interface layout was misaligned while customizing the Home screen.
- Fixed an issue on Pixel Fold devices where the clock on the lock screen was flickering while animating.
- Fixed various issues that were impacting system stability and performance.
Google did note however that there are still some known issues with this release. The known issues include:
- In some cases, video continues playing in the background even after closing an app if the video was playing in picture-in-picture mode when it was closed.
- A video that is playing in picture-in-picture mode stops playing abruptly if the back gesture is used within the PiP settings screens.
- An issue with the system UI causes the transition from an ongoing call chip to the fullscreen call screen to animate poorly.
This should be the final beta prior to release, but nothing is confirmed at this point. You can get the update by opting into the Beta Program here and checking for updates on your phone.
Stay tuned for updates on Tech Exposed.